Wednesday, January 9, 2013

A note on time

the last street before I reach my home

This morning I woke up not to my alarm, but to my host mother yelling in spanish.  It's difficult enough to understand her when she's calm; understanding her first thing in the morning is a whole other beast.  Eventually I understood that she thought I was going to be late for class.  I groped around for my glasses, and looked at my clock: 23:15. The middle of the night, right?  Well, not quite.  

Spain, like most of the world, runs on military time, which you might see by my notation of the time above.  I knew that, of course.  But when I was setting my clock the afternoon before I just happened to forget that little detail.  When I set my alarm before bed, I checked that yes, it would go off, because it was set for the morning and not the afternoon.  What I missed was that the clock itself was 12 hours off.   So when I woke up I had 25 minutes to get to class.  Don't worry, mom, I made it on time, and managed to take a moment to reset my clock to the correct time.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment